Thursday, November 4, 2010

Daily Inspiration 11-4-10

"There are 100 men seeking security to one
able man who is willing to risk his fortune."

-- J Paul Getty


"The biggest mistake that you can make is to believe that you
are working for somebody else. Job security is gone.
The driving force of a career must come from the individual.
Remember: Jobs are owned by the company, you own your career!"

-- Earl Nightingale


"The only real security that a man will have in this world
is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability."

-- Henry Ford


Security is all in the mind--the majority of people's minds--and really it doesn't exist except as a notion; a feeling.

It certainly is not in a job. I've seen people go 25 or 30 years at a company and then be out on the street. It's not in business for yourself. That's nothing but risk to some.

I've found that the best security for me is building my value, becoming more, developing more skills, trying more things, risking adventure.

Ever been fired from a job unexpectedly? Sure, many of us have. Me too. So what? It means little when you've got your bag of accumulated experience to take with you. Then, wherever you decide to get going again will develop so much faster! And better too!

Sometimes it's a funny thing and what goes around has a tendency to come around. I'll tell you a funny little ironic story. I was thinking of doing something else beside the car business, but it wasn't happening, so I had an opportunity to go to work at a once famous used car lot. The person that hired me was cocky and arrogant and rarely even showed up. So I worked there for 30 days to give it a go and the traffic was non-existant. In fact there were two units sold that month and the guy that hired me that was never there, took both. So at the end of 30 days, I quit. A no-brainer. They owed me minimum wage at least, but refused to pay it. I appealed and won and got the money, but it just left a bad taste all around.

Advance forward about 6 years. I'm a sales manager at a dealership and this guy that hired me at the used car lot came in looking for work. He was almost begging and it was so interesting. I was polite, but said no thanks. It is interesting how the tables can turn that way and I know several people in this industry who have had similar, if not even more bizarre things happen.

Our security is solely in our mind and so my recommendation is to develop it by becoming more, continually learning, and always looking at opportunities.



Be Secure In Your Own Worth, Not Position.


Spread Some Joy Today--One year's experience repeated twenty times is the typical 20-year veteran. There's not a shred of security in that. Expand your value. For yourself, if no one else.

No comments:

Post a Comment