Saturday, November 7, 2009

Daily Inspiration 11-7-09

"God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference."

- Reinhold Niebuhr

I was talking briefly yesterday with a friend in the auto business. He talked of how slow the auto business is right now and that he was out talking to people a lot lately trying to drum up some business, but that it was tough. He can't wait for the economy to turn around and have things humming again. It is a refrain I hear a lot these days from people in the auto business and a lot of other businesses.

When will business change for the better? Is there a tactic that is working? Advertising methods that are working? How do you encourage people to spend their money and buy things? How long is it going to last? Am I going to be able to hold on until it turns around? What are the reasons for this problem? These and many others are questions being asked by salespeople, managers and business owners.

The question I don't hear but rarely is this: What can I do? What can I do to improve business? What can I do?

When we get to the point where we ask this question, we can move ahead. Up until this question is asked, it is all about what the problems are and what the situations are and how it sucks, how bad it is and how frustrating it is and when is it going to change? This year? Next year? It's all about the problem.

The question, what can I do? is focusing on possible solutions that you can control. Like the poem says, "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. . ." This is a very powerful first step. So, step one is this: Ask the question, what can I do? Step two: let go of the problem. The problem is not in your control. Let it go. Seek peace.

Step three: As in the poem, ". . . the courage to change the things I can," seek to change what you do have control of. The number one thing that everyone on the planet has total and 100% control of is their thinking. Take control of your thinking and think positively toward solutions by avoiding discussing, mentioning, or thinking about the problem that you have no control over.

It has always been true in any economy that being around negative people will lead you toward negativity. Would you really and truly like to be the devil's advocate? As you focus any attention on the problem, you are that advocate. Let it go and avoid the news about it, people talk about it, Internet mention of it, all of it. Whatever you give your focus to is enhanced. By focusing on the problem, you are enhancing it. You know that isn't what you want, so stop it now.

". . . the wisdom to know the difference." It really does take some wisdom to see the difference. It is all too easy to discuss the issues of the day with people as if these are realities. The truth is that you create your own reality in what you give attention to and how you think about that. If you think it sucks, it surely does suck. If you choose to think it is okay, it is truly okay--to you. Remember, all you can control is your own thinking and actions, not everyone else's--not even any one else's.

Last for today, is to fill your new world with uplifting, encouraging thoughts. Make a list of things you can do. There are plenty of things you can do mentally and physically. Focus here and you will see things change for you.

[If you are having trouble making a list of things you can do and would some ideas, send me an email and I will give you some ideas based on your individual situation.]


I Have The Ultimate Power: My Own Thoughts!

Spread Some Joy Today--Don't Listen To ANYONE Speak Negative Thoughts In Your Presence Today. Stop Them Or Leave Them Immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment