Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Daily Inspiration 11-4-09

"So what do we do?
Anything - something. So long as we don't just sit there.
If we screw it up, start over. Try something else.
If we wait until we've satisfied all the uncertainties,
it may be too late."

- Lee Iacocca


"I move forword in my life every day, even if it's only a tiny step,
because I know that great things are accomplished with tiny moves,
but nothing is accomplished by standing still."

- Zig Ziglar

These are such motivating quotes to me. So many people are struck with fear. Fear of failure, fear of the unknown, what if this and what if that? They 'what if' themselves right into doing nothing for fear of making a mistake.

The biggest thing about making mistakes is what other people will think of us. I say, who cares? Go for it. I've made so many mistakes, I've stopped counting. Many of those attempts ended in failure. So what? Try again.

I want to always be branching out doing something that interests me. I don't do it necessarily to achieve something, but to take it from an idea to manifestation. That's achievement in itself to me.

So, you have this idea that it would be fun to play the guitar. You can picture yourself playing the guitar in your mind. Okay. Let's get it out of your mind and into manifestation. Go to the music store and talk to them about guitars and lessons. Then, buy one, rent one or borrow one and start the lessons. Don't be thinking you'll be the world's best player in a week, but just have some fun and realize that you have just taken a thought and turned it into a reality. That is plenty of fun right there.

I've played guitar since I was 16. In 1983 I decided I wanted to write songs. I took that thought and began moving forward by 'trying' to write songs. I didn't know how to write songs, I just got started. Within a year, I had written over 50 songs and recorded most of them and even recorded an album at a studio near Sacramento. All from a thought.

Now take those two things together. I decided that I wanted to share my songs and feelings live. I created an opportunity to lead worship at church. It was pitiful to start. I was doing it by myself scared and nervous, but doing it. I kept doing it and got a little better. This led to writing songs for the church and nine years of leading worship and playing in a worship band, running the sound room and much more. My songwriting improved dramatically, I actually became a musician instead of a guitar player, learned how to play bass guitar as well, and shared to my hearts content.

All of that was glorious and I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity--and most grateful for the thought and the decision to act. Also as a result of this, I started teaching others how to write songs. I developed a little course on songwriting and held a few classes (if you would like a copy, just send me an email). Several songs came out of those classes and were also played in church. It was kind of a rocking church. . .

So, it is interesting what you can do when you don't know what you are doing and you haven't got a clue how to get started. So many times we have those thoughts and we just let them die a slow death. Too bad.

Instead, be excited about making mistakes! Take those thoughts and make something happen by stepping out and trying. You never know where that will lead. It could be a mistake and be over quickly, but that would be no reason to stop trying things. My list of mistakes would fill a book. Who cares? It is wise to care more about what you think and very little about what others think.

Go for it. Make it a reality. You can do it. Tell me about it once you've done it, okay? Let's just have some fun and joy!

Let me leave you with one of my all time favorite quotes which I have thought of so often and love dearly:

"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."

- Jack London


I Think. I Think I Want. I Think I Can. I Do. I Am.

Spread Some Joy Today--Take at least one thing you've thought about and have put off and get started on it. Art class, yoga class, building skyscrapers, leaping tall buildings, opening a petty zoo, starting a magazine, making a friend, doing a daily inspirations email, finishing college. You choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment