Thursday, November 12, 2009

Daily Inspiration 11-12-09

"People who say, "it cannot be done,"
should not interrupt the people who are doing it."

- George Bernard Shaw

Back in 1984, a friend gave me this quote, though he did not tell me who said it. I assumed it was him and attributed it to him for 24 years. It was only recently that I found it was George Bernard Shaw. So I wrote the quote on a business card and kept it in my wallet for those many years. It has always inspired me to reach out and do things, think things that I feel strongly about and may not be in the norm, politically correct or well accepted.

There are plenty who are ready and willing to rain on your parade. It almost seems as if they get pleasure from it. The truth is, they don't matter. If you're doing it and it is working for you, to heck with the naysayers.

Another point: you don't need permission. I rarely ask for permission of others to do anything. It is the approval that many seek, but I would rather make a mistake than wait for approval. It could have been done by now. You know?

There's an old saying, "I would rather beg forgiveness than ask permission." I've always liked that phrase. . .

There's another one that Lee Ioccoca used to use on television commercials: "lead, follow or get out of the way." These all work together like a team.

It all comes down to the key ingedient: Decision. It seems to me the hardest thing is making the decision to go this way or that, then it seems so easy to get moving once that huge decision is out of the way.

Amelia Earhart said it this way: "The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." I like how easily she throws around a heavy word like tenacity. One of my favorite quotes of hers on this same subject is this: "The most effective way to do it, is to do it." She obviously was a doer and if you've ever looked at her quotes, she was a thinker as well. Maybe that's where Nike got their "Just Do It" slogan.

You will be amazed what you can do when you give yourself permission--permission to decide; permission to act; permission to fail, and permission to succeed. Be your own best judge. It is okay to ask opinions, but that is all they will be. The real decision is always yours.

Let's just go for it! Ask yourself two questions I am fond of: 1. What is it that I am really afraid of? and 2. What's the worst thing that could happen?

Let's do this thing!


I Have The Power To Decide And Act!

Spread Some Joy Today--Make A Decision You've Been Putting Off. Do It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment