Thursday, March 5, 2020

Daily Inspiration 3-5-20

"Follow your bliss." 

-- Joseph Campbell 



New: Audio version

[Classic post from 10-22-15]

I bought a new book by Jeb Blount with a catchy title, Fanatical Prospecting. As I looked through the contents page and read some of the pages at random, my first thoughts were that he is teaching a very small group. To be fair, there is plenty to learn from this book for the average prospector, let alone the fanatical one living, breathing, and working 24/7/365.

In the sales game, we have pressure on us from the companies we sell for, to continue to produce more at less cost with more profits. Sometimes that pressure to be someone's version of success is a heavy burden. Been there, lived that, was even one putting the pressure on others many times.

Yet, what I've found is heavier than this pressure, is the expectations and disappointments we affix to ourselves in the process of trying to be something other than what and who we are.

I'm very much into personal development and growing and becoming better at what I do, and expanding as a human being too. It's all for the good of everyone involved for us to be our best selves. In other words, I want to do well and I want to keep learning.

In 1972 when I began my sales career at age 22, I found it hard to find books on sales. Now, they are so plentiful that if you want to improve your sales skills, get some fresh ideas, and keep learning more, it is very easy. I recommend that. I do it even today. Technology has helped expand the ways in which we can keep learning with e-books, audio programs, audiobooks, video, YouTube, online education and so much more. Whatever you want help with, it is out there and much of it is free. 

There's a lot to do and a lot to learn, and in all my years I have found something that is even more important, and it takes all the pressure off at the same time. It is this: learn to love what you do and to enjoy yourself doing it. Many of us get so focused on making money and forget to enjoy ourselves throughout each day. Life is short and finding a way to enjoy what you do during the day for work allows you to make money and thrive. It adds immeasurably to your home life as well.

Joseph Campbell says to "Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls." Do what you can with what you have to work with and let the rest go. Find ways to enjoy yourself throughout your day, and loving what you do serves you and everyone around you. My recommendation is that if you were to become fanatical about something, to become a fanatic about following your bliss will serve you pretty well.


Life Is Meant To Be Enjoyable. All Of It. And, Strangely Enough, We Get To Choose That Or Not As We See Fit. 

Spread Some Joy Today--because it is way cooler than spreading fear, or complaining, or being angry. Joy just feels better, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment