Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Daily Inspiration 11-5-19

"Our chief want 
is someone who will inspire us 
to be what we know we could be." 

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson 



New: Audio version

[Classic post from 6-15-15]

I love this quote by Emerson, and I love how Jim Rohn would respond to it. He would, and has said, "But, what if they don't show up?"

How do we become inspired? What is considered an inspiration? What is it to be inspired? What sizes do inspirations come in? What is it to resist inspiration? Can we make a habit of being inspired?

As with many words, there is more than one definition of inspiration or to be inspired. According to Webster, it is this:

1.a: a divine influence or action on a person believed to qualify him or her to receive and communicate sacred revelation.
   b: the action or power of moving the intellect or emotions
   c: the act of influencing or suggesting opinions

2. the act of drawing in; specifically: the drawing of air into the lungs

Perhaps some of us are feeling unworthy of divine influence, but that is nonsense because all are worthy. Or perhaps some of us are waiting and hoping for that huge inspiration, and I say huge because it is divine. It's interesting how we judge divine.

On a smaller scale perhaps it is the action or power of moving our intellect and/or emotions. This is also available to all. Read a book, watch a movie, feel the wind, hear a song, touch the earth, take a nice warm shower. Yesterday I became so inspired just walking the dog. It was 84 degrees with a 15 mph breeze with periodic gusts and it felt so divine and luxurious. I wanted it to last all day, so we walked slowly and further than normal. Any of these kinds of things can be inspiring.

The act of influencing or suggesting opinions. Opinions of others influence me as a quote inspires me. That's how I began writing today. I saw this quote by Emerson and my thoughts began flowing. Are they important? It doesn't matter. I'm sharing my opinions, and maybe someone is inspired by them, or not. But, I am, so that is good enough.

The act of drawing in. . . I think of this more as allowing. To be inspired means to allow. So often we may resist inspiration. I know I've done plenty of that, and perhaps even every single day in some way. I've got concerns or fears on my mind and that is a mental loop that blocks out inspiration. To be inspired, I have to allow, I have to draw it in and the only way to do that is to allow. I have to let go in order to allow. Once I get to the point of allowing, the inspiration is received.

Back to size. Sometimes maybe we are looking for that grand, large, huge, divine inspiration--that life-changing event kind of inspiration. I know I do. I love those. Yet, the more I see that missing, the more it is missing. Does that make sense? It's like staring at the problem and we get so used to the problem, or so hung up on it, that we cannot allow a solution--we even resist the solution. Since these grand life-changing inspirations come once in a while, the best way to find more of them is to expect them and allow them. Calm, confident patience works well here.

And, the other thing that helps more than we know, is to not forsake the small, daily, hourly, minute by minute, moment by moment inspirations from other people, our environment, nature, our own connection to the Infinite. They also require allowing, and by allowing them, even expecting and encouraging them, more of them arrive, touch us, and delight us, as we eagerly anticipate that divine influence that we adore so much, as it is on its timely way to us, as we become more of an allower.


To Become More Of An Allower, Become Grateful, And Develop The Habit Of Thankfulness. This Habit Will Bless You All The Rest Of Your Life. 

Spread Some Joy Today--by allowing your own joy to flow out of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment