Monday, November 4, 2019

Daily Inspiration 11-4-19

"Accept no one's definition of your life; 
define yourself." 

-- Harvey Fierstein 



New: Audio version

[Classic post from 6-13-15]

Alan Cohen said, "The more you try to justify yourself or your actions, the farther you drift from authority. Let your being speak for itself."

Last night after reading these two quotes, a thought popped into my head, and it was this: There isn't any person or group on the planet--not my parents, relatives, employers, spouse, teachers--in fact, not anyone outside of myself who knows about what I want, and who I am as I do. Personality or psychological tests can't determine it, there are no methods that can do it. They would all be grossly inaccurate. They could get lucky in bits and pieces, but that is like having three or four pieces of an 850 piece puzzle.

Since I know this to be true, there is only one single authority about me. It is me. Any time that I allow someone else to be an authority about me, I am disempowered. When I remember that I am the only real authority on me, I am re-empowered.

With all those around us who attempt to influence us, along with the media, publications, video, government, and advertising, it can be a challenge when we forget for a few moments who is really in charge. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, and it is perhaps even truer today than in his day, "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."


You Alone Are In Charge Of You. 

Spread Some Joy Today--Delight in this day. If you're reading this, it's another day to enjoy, to learn, to love, to experience--to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment