Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Daily Inspiration 6-28-16

"Words are, of course, 
the most powerful drug 
used by mankind." 

-- Rudyard Kipling 



I think how we say something demonstrates how we feel about the subject. Often, through the days and weeks in our daily travels, we use a small and repetitive mix of words as we describe events, use small-talk, communicate to ourselves, and more. The choices of those words help to limit us in the depth and breadth of our world, or expands us into the Universe surrounding that world.

Consider how many times you might have used these words in the last 10 days:

Frustrated, anxious, angry, pissed off, hurt, stressed, impatient, irritated, nervous, overwhelmed, painful, oh shit, stupid ass, terrible, disgusting, lazy, jealous, embarrassed, exhausted, overloaded, okay, cool, happy, pretty good, fair to middlin', glad.

Now, consider how many times and in how many ways you may have used these words:

marvelous, delightful, extravagant, luscious, inspiring, radiant, gleaming, centered, focused, perfect!, fantastic, fortunate, joyful, unstoppable, superb, amazed, tranquil, magical, yummy, exquisite, brilliant, awesome, fabulous, surprising, wonderful, captivating, enchanting, ravishing, engaging. 

Sometimes we want to have the feeling before we've had the thought, and the thought most often contains language, or words and phrases, and one of the more important things I've learned is that it is the thought that creates the feeling. It is the dog that wags the tail rather than the other way around, and our language has far more power than we think it does.

I've written several times about using better words in typically mundane conversation, such as in answering that silly question that people so often ask, "how are you today?" And, even though I might feel like slapping them for asking me that, it serves me better to give them something they haven't got a clue how to deal with.

I could give them a really, really sad story of what has gone wrong, and in how many ways, but we all know they aren't really that inquisitive or interested. But, I don't want to give them the most boring and typical answer, "fine. how about you?" I might have to puke if I did that again.

So, I make stuff up that is short and see if I can shock them out of their stupor and engage their joy. I'll say things like, "I'm off the chart today!" or "I don't think it is even possible to feel any better!" or "I'm blessed all over!" or "I'm loving my life today, how about you?" or, "I'm supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!"

But, it is much more than mundane conversations that can be improved. It is more our inner dialog than anything outside of us. Do you use any of the second batches of words above in your inner conversations? Try adding them on purpose and watch what happens. Search for more and more descriptive words that add magical and delightful flavors to your inner language fare. Get out the Thesaurus and have some fun. Do it with abandon. You'll be charmed I think, and what you feel as a result will improve dramatically as the language inspires it to do so.

It's not fair or practical to expect the feeling without considering the thought. And, it is the thought, and how it is expressed, that will create a more radiant feeling. Want some more joy in your life? Change your vocabulary. As you change your vocabulary on things you see around you, interchanges with others, and more, you will experience a greater awareness of the good around and inside you, and spread those thoughts and feelings with others, adding zest to their lives too. Be extravagant! 

And, by the way, you can have so much more fun with this in business, or at work. If there was ever a place this was needed, it is there.


I'm Feeling Opulent Right Now! It Is Heavenly! 

Spread Some Joy Today--by changing things up a bit. A little radicality or rascality is good. Have some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment