Thursday, April 14, 2016

Daily Inspiration 4-14-16

"When are you going to grow up?" 

-- A question I've been asked by several in my life 



As I lazily got up this morning after sleeping until 6:30 am, I was reminded somehow about the idea of maturity. It's a crazy thought first thing in the morning, I know. But, there it was.

I remember my mother asking me when I was going to grow up a few times when I would do something silly. I guess she thought that I should have progressed more by then. I also heard it from my wife during my first marriage a few times. I guess a few bouts of silliness is all it takes to question whether or not I've grown up yet, become more mature.

Mature. It's interesting what images come to mind when I look at that word. I see a man who is serious looking, confident, controlled. The Bible even says that as a child, I did childish things, and as I grew up I let go of childish things. And, truth be known, I have let go of a lot of childish things. Not because I wanted to necessarily, but I'm way too big now to ride a tricycle (actually, I've been too big since I was five). Yes, there's a lot of silly kid things that I no longer do.

And yet, there are some silly kid things that I still do. In fact, it makes me laugh at myself whenever I do them because I can recall the first time I did them and it was during my childhood, or as a teenager. No, I'm not going to tell you what they are. I cannot blow my cover completely. Let it suffice to say that I do them proudly and in all fun when I am alone only. People would look at me in crazy ways if I did any of them in public. Of course, all those on the other side that are interested in looking down at me can see and hear them, but I can't seem to see them, so I imagine that I am alone and safe.

Here I am at 66 years of age, still immature in many ways. It's amazing. And, it's fun too. I mean, these things bring me joy, laughter, fun, and they have for well over 50 years now, and some even longer. So, if I'm not yet grown-up at 66, then what hope is there for me? Maybe 70 is when it happens, or 80. Hmmmm. I don't think it happens then either. I think there are just some things we hang on to simply because they feel good, make us laugh, that we find funny, and yes, silly too. It's okay.

I'm keeping mine, and frankly, I don't give a damn about maturity anymore. I hope you're proud and happy with your own private immature moments and actions. It's our own little private world where we can do those silly things, laugh at ourselves and our own immaturity, and wonder to ourselves if we will ever grow up. Nah.


I Know That I Have No Plans To Grow Up Anytime Soon. 

Spread Some Joy Today--by laughing often and much. It's a healing thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment