Sunday, September 6, 2015

Daily Inspiration 9-6-15

"God did not intend the human family 
to be wafted to heaven on flowery beds of ease." 

-- Frank Knox 



I wonder which God Frank is talking about? If I listen to his God, then I am doomed to a life of struggle, toil, and despair as a prerequisite to heaven. Sorry, Frank. I reject your God, but I am ever so happy to allow you yours as I choose a God who actually loves me as a valued part of the whole of Creation.

"I wish to preach, not the doctrine of ignoble ease, but the doctrine of the strenuous life." -- Theodore Roosevelt. 

So, Teddy thinks that ease is without any honor of character or purpose. Yes, I see how that is in your life, Teddy. Please continue on and enjoy yourself. However, I much prefer ease.

"The true Christian is called to be a soldier and must behave as such from the day of his conversion to the day of his death. He is not meant to live a life of religious ease, indolence, and security. He must never imagine for a moment that he can sleep and doze along the way to heaven, like on traveling in an easy carriage." -- J. C. Ryle 

Hmm. . . I wonder if J. C. actually read the Bible? Personally, I don't see Christ in that statement anywhere. My recollection is that Jesus said to "love one another as we love ourselves." So, J. C., I'm happy to allow you to have your beliefs on the true Christian; however, I choose to continue to stand in my open-mindedness and ease of where the values of the Bible have touched me deeply.

"What we hope ever to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence." -- Samuel Johnson. 

Sam, I don't know how many servings of hard work and nose-to-the-grindstone effort you want me to have before I have earned a single serving of ease; however, I will be more than pleased to allow you to have all the diligence you crave, while I will create all the ease I crave. My hat's off to your tenacity! 

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambitions inspired, and success achieved." -- Helen Keller. 

Helen, why cannot character be developed in ease and quiet? Character is being true to one's self, don't you think? It can only come through trial and suffering? That depends strictly, I think, on your point of view. Suffering is a conditional response to an unpleasant stimulus. Why the need to suffer? It's only contrast that may cause us to want something more or different. Accepting the contrast for what it is and turning our focus toward what that contrast has encouraged us to desire creates success. And, success is only a conditional response to a pleasant stimulus. But, please, have it your way. You know what is best for you. I appreciate your encouragement, but I will continue to develop my character in ease and quiet, while I enjoy my constant and never-ending contrast. Peace be with you.

Based on the number of quotes I have seen on the negative side of the subject of ease, I find it amazing how much so many people admire and even promote the necessity of struggle. I don't find it so admirable. Who really wants pain? It seems that many do, but it is so hard for me to believe that they really want it. I think it is that they just bought the idea that struggle is the only way through, or at least, the only honorable way through. As a practicing allower, I am happy to allow them any thoughts they may choose, along with any struggles they choose as well. I choose not those. I choose knowledge and empowerment. I choose joy and ease. I choose love and peace.


Every Day We Get To Choose What We Believe By The Thoughts That We Think. 

Spread Some Joy Today--as it will not happen to you, because you must choose it.

No comments:

Post a Comment