Monday, September 8, 2014

Daily Inspiration 9-8-14

"He who is contented is rich."
 
-- Lao Tzu


I was watching a show on TV and there was a couple with two children in court wanting a divorce. Having been a kid whose family went through two divorces, I know it is the kids that seem to get a lot of hurt feelings from that, and the adults have their share too.

There are always issues. One of them that comes up often is money, how it is used or not used, how much there is relative to what is wanted and so much more. In the case on the TV show, they argued about money often.

My two wives and I argued about money, but that was only a symptom. The real problem is priorities and focus. There were times in my life when I made over $150k a year and then there were times when I made $600 a month and had no furniture of my own. All those things that can be bought with money can sure fill up an apartment or house and then off-site storage too, but when they are compared to love, they mean absolutely nothing. The same is true with money. When it is compared to love is means absolutely nothing.

Of course, I am not saying money isn't important. It is. It pays the rent, buys food, furniture, books, and all kinds of things. It pays for services that we benefit from, so yes, it is extremely important, but it has its place and sometimes we might get so used to trying so hard to keep all the balls in the air of having a better life that we let our priorities get out of order.

Children can benefit from money, but I can say from experience that the difference money makes is insignificant to the love of a caring mother and father. I remember having so little and even not much to eat, but the love and laughter made up for anything that was perceived as missing.

My father died when I was 13 and of all the memories I have, one stands out above all the rest. We were sitting on the couch in his living room and he was hugging me and rubbing his chin on my face and neck and I have never forgotten what his beard felt like. He was totally loving me and being present, which was rare but so welcomed.

Money and things have their place and they are important. On my now priorities list they are not at the top, but loving family, friends, other people, and being present with them floats to the top. And, there has become one other thing that floats to the top, and that is loving myself, respecting myself, and being present by myself. That works.


I Think I've Finally Got My Priorities Straight.

Spread Some Joy Today--because joy is as much a priority as love. They go together.

No comments:

Post a Comment