Monday, February 24, 2014

Daily Inspiration 2-24-14

"Why are you trying 
so hard to fit in, 
when you were born 
to stand out?" 

 -- Oliver James 


In my later wisdom, I have developed a huge and loving respect for those who act out their true being--their unique-self. Oh, there's a lot of people who try to be different, but as my mother did when she was young, this is often more to get attention than to express our inner unique personality.

It's funny to me now (it never was when I was younger), how people try so hard to fit in and be like everyone else. The droopy pants is a perfect example and I am amazed at the longevity of that. In junior high and early high school (1963-65 for the date fans), it was all the rage for guys to wear "pegged-pants." These were the forerunner of skinny jeans today, and we created them with a sewing machine.

Then they were so tight at the bottom that we had to wear nylon stockings and often use a shoe horn to get them over our heal. Then we would wear brogue shoes, which was especially freaky because our feet were size 11 or 12 typically. You just have to see how dorky this looks today as I am standing in the yearbook ad photo below trying to look like a customer wearing my green Levi's, white socks, plaid shirt and those stupid shoes.


So, I can't laugh too much at the droopy drawers young boys and young men wear today after what I wore then. Heck, I'm laughing right now looking at this and the hairspray hairdoos of 1966 and 1967.

Well, back to the subject at hand. . . I wasn't letting my own personality out like I certainly could have, but I was trying to fit in and trying real hard I will have to admit. And now, I try so little in comparison. Now you get more of the real me, but never, ever will anyone get all of it probably, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

However, the more we let out and the more comfortable we get with ourselves and our own uniqueness, I think we not only serve ourselves so much better and are happier for it, but we serve others better too. Each of us in unique. We may have all come from the same source, but each is like a snowflake--the same and yet so very different.


Celebrate Your Uniqueness! Let More Of That Out. 

Spread Some Joy Today--Be yourself. I celebrate YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment