Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Daily Inspiration 12-26-12

"Are you a thermometer or a thermostat?
A thermometer only reflects
the temperature of its environment,
adjusting to the situation.
But a thermostat initiates action
to change the temperature
in it environment."

-- Nido Qubein


This is a wonderful quote to keep around and look at once in a while. Are we actively changing our environment or is our environment a reflection of our indifference?

I don't mean indifference to be a bad word, I actually think it is pretty descriptive of going along with things, being a thermometer, and it is neither good or bad. It is what it is. But, making a difference is more like being a thermostat rather than a thermometer. So, it is good I think to check that from time to time and see which we are based on how we are affecting any kind of change.

I'll give you an example that just came to my mind from many years ago. I was working at a dealership as a sales manager and the general manager wanted this product to be sold in the finance office. After familiarizing myself with it and testing it a bit, it was what I felt was an inferior product. I suggested in a meeting that this was not matching with the quality image of the dealership and that it would be better to find a superior product instead.

Standing up like that takes courage or craziness and I happen to have both, but what it really demonstrates is not being a thermometer, and instead being a thermostat. Sometimes being a thermostat means taking a risk, but in my opinion, it is certainly a risk worth taking in order to make a difference.


How Are My Values And Actions Lining Up?

Spread Some Joy Today--Pretend that it is Christmas the rest of the year. Spiritually.

No comments:

Post a Comment