Sunday, February 5, 2012

Daily Inspiration 2-5-12

"You never lose by loving.
You always lose by holding back."

-- Barbara de Angelis

Some years ago, I started doing something strange. I started telling people I loved them. It isn't strange for me to say 'I love you' to my wife, my parents, my brothers and sisters, children and relatives, but it is strange to tell your clients, especially man to man, or people you barely know and so on. I say strange because I never see or hear it done in this context and it is a damn shame.

Think about this quote by Anatole France for a few minutes: "You learn to speak by speaking, to study by studying, to run by running, to work by working; in just the same way, you learn to love by loving." In other words, practice makes perfect! In addition, practice is worthy of such a feeling as love.

As to why, I like what W. H. Murray says so simply and yet profoundly: "The more the soul knows, the more she loves, and loving much, she tastes much."

Back in 1996, I read the Bible and was at that time enamored by the sheer magnitude and depth of the love of Jesus. I took that love quite literally and began to love everyone more, paying special attention to those that were harder to love. You know the type--the overbearing, micro-managing boss; the persistent bill collector; the rude person, and such. They were a challenge, but I practiced and slowly opened my heart to them regardless of their attitude toward me. It was often miraculous in how in a very short time, these people not only changed for the better, but became much more lovable.

I continued to practice it and began telling many of my clients that I loved them. I could sense that they were uncomfortable in that conversation but I also know it is because they are not used to hearing it in this context. I have persisted all this time and I put it in writing to many of them and periodically tell them, and most certainly show it to them in my warmth and interest in them and my praise of them.

And guess what? They somehow become more loving too. Every once in a while they say it back to me, though that is not the point. The point is that I love them because that is how I feel and want to express it, and as W. H. Murray says. "the more the soul knows, the more she loves, and loving much, she tastes much."

I Taste Much. . . And It IS GOOD!

Spread Some Joy Today--Love your fellow person regardless of their relationship or position in relation to you. You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment