Monday, October 31, 2011

Daily Inspiration 10-31-11

"It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped."

-- Tony Robbins


"The law of harvest is to reap more than you sow.
Sow an act, and your reap a habit.
Sow a habit and your reap a character.
Sow a character and you reap a destiny."

-- James Allen


I was reading something today and it caused me to think about destiny and how that has always bothered me. It reminds me of the phrase, meant to be, and the word, should, as if there is something that we were meant to be or do or become, and that is something that we should do or become because, of course, (you saw it coming, right?) it was our destiny.

Then, I was very involved in church for a lot of years and people were always talking about God's will and finding God's will for them, and following God's will and on and on they would go about seeking God's will, etc. I always thought that made us more like puppets than anything, or that when we didn't do the thing we should, the consequences were upon us.

Then, there's the parents, and the favorite word of my parents was should. Don't do as I do, but do as I say. You should do this and that.

Teachers too, then employers as we became job seekers. I cannot leave out the governments, local, state and federal, you know. There's plenty of shoulding there too.

Truth is--at least as I've found having been down all these other paths--that as I look back, I can see so clearly how I have shaped my own destiny and that no one, not anyone has shaped it for me. There were co-creators in the process, but I was always in control because I was always in control of my thinking and always 100% in control of my own decision making.

Every decision created a result and in the process of my life in looking back, I see some real doozies. Although, I had lots of excuses and explanations for all of them that absolved me of any real responsibility. Heck, I practiced that most of my life. Now, that in very recent years since I have accepted full and complete responsibility for my thinking and decisions and results, it is actually empowering to look back and realize that it was all my own doing all along. Yes, I made a lot of money and spent more than I earned. Yes, I quit when I could have continued. Yes, I reacted most of the time rather than responding. Sometimes I didn't know any better, but not very dang often. Most of the time, I made conscious decisions.

The other thing that is important now for me is that I no longer look back in any regret, whereas I used to look back that way a lot. It's all good. It's okay. They were just decisions and results. It happens to everyone all the time. And now that I know fully what I am doing, these decisions all bring me joy. I find that fascinating!



My Destiny Is In My Mind.


Spread Some Joy Today--by getting excited about other people's little successes. Be an encourager and joy will follow you everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment