Thursday, October 13, 2011

Daily Inspiration 10-13-11

"Nothing is more powerful for your future
than being a gatherer of good ideas and information.
That's called doing your homework."

-- Jim Rohn


What I love about always seeking a new book is the ones that light a fire in me and inspire me and enlighten me and educate me. Since my twenties, I've done a pretty good job of continually moving through books and I've gathered such a wealth of ideas and information and help to change my life, make it better, more interesting and more effective and loving as well.

Now, every book doesn't achieve these objectives, although I do seem to get some benefit out of each. Yet some just take me off guard right away and pull me in. One I just started today did this and all I've had the time to read is the Introduction. Matter of fact, if all I or you read was the Introduction, I think there would be plenty of value in it. Though I want to read the rest, I thought I'd share a bit about the book, along with a quote that stood out.

The book title is, The Art of Extreme Self-Care by Cheryl Richardson and it is published by Hay House. Here's the quote: "If you want to live an authentic, meaningful life, you need to master the art of disappointing and upsetting others, hurting feelings, and living with the reality that some people just won't like you. It may not be easy, but it's essential if you want your life to reflect your deepest desires, values, and needs."

Cheryl realized that she was always helping others and pretty much forsaking herself. This was pointed out to her by a personal coach she hired to give her some ideas, and she was a personal coach as well.

Recently, in the last six months, I've been touching on this myself and becoming willing to and even actively practicing allowing others to be disappointed or upset because I've chosen something for myself or that I have chosen not to do something with them. It's an interesting experience when you're generally used to saying yes all the time to avoid hurt feelings, all the time not enjoying it as it could be, because basically, I don't want to do this thing or go to that place.

So, essentially, I am practicing saying no. Jack Canfield, a favorite author says it this way in The Success Principles, "to be successful in achieving your goals and creating your desired lifestyle, you will have to get good at saying no to all of the people and distractions that would otherwise devour you. Successful people know how to say no without feeling guilty." He also recommended two books on that subject. One is, When I Say No, I Feel Guilty, by Manuel J Smith, and How To Say No Without Feeling Guilty, by Patti Breitman and Connie Hatch.

Give yourself permission and buy the book by Cheryl Richardson. Carve some space for yourself. You deserve it. Besides, a better, healthier, happier you will be more beneficial to others, right?



It IS YOUR LIFE! Make It Worthwhile To You.


Spread Some Joy Today--Take some selfish pleasure and enjoy it with relish! How about a massage for lunch! Let everyone at work wonder about that joyous smile when you come back from that long lunch. It's good for them and better for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment