Sunday, December 8, 2019

Daily Inspiration 12-8-19

"A warm smile 
is the universal language of kindness." 

-- William Arthur Ward 



New: Audio version

[Classic post from 7-19-15]

In a world that always seems to be moving faster, seeking our attention and communication through texting, talking on the phone while doing whatever we may be doing, media everywhere, it is easy to forget to smile. When you are feeling good about yourself, or whatever may be in your vision or on your mind, a smile is a very natural response. Yet we may be going through our day focused on things that don't encourage a smile, and it seems that in that state we are alone in a crowded room.

As I'm driving, I am looking at people out walking, or in other cars. It is an interesting thing as the eyes of whomever I am looking at--even for only a moment or two--and my eyes meet. It reminds me of that stuff about a surface to air missile when it is said to have 'locked on' its intended target. As our eyes meet each other even for a split second, I feel some kind of connection. I feel as if reams of information have just been exchanged, yet I know none of it consciously. It is a fascinating feeling. It doesn't happen often even though I am looking and they may casually look back. The difference is the actual 'eye contact.' I also think there is a big difference in that connection if I am smiling at that moment or not.

Wherever I am moving through my day, whether walking or driving, I am wanting to be present. I am focused on enjoying myself and enjoying my surroundings, the weather, the traffic, the interesting people in every size, shape, color, all their different clothes, their attitude, and by that, I mean relative to their environment. How are they carrying themselves, if they seem to be enjoying themselves, and so on?

As I do all of this and while I am focused on my own enjoyment, I am smiling. Sometimes it is a joyous smile, and other times a warm smile, a waning smile, and so on. I'm curious, but not focused on who may be receiving my smile. How many times during your day does someone's smile brighten your day just a little bit? What an easy way to make a difference and lift others up.

Since I've decided that my predominant goal in my life is to simply enjoy myself, I find myself smiling, laughing, feeling joy so often. Whether I am at my computer doing Internet work for our clients, driving around doing errands, walking about, I am focused on enjoying myself. Yesterday was a glorious day and I was reveling in its glory. Each and every day is feeling much like that now. I find myself grateful and giving thanks for the perfect shady parking spot so Charlie won't get too hot, seeing the long line of traffic and having no real need of getting in there with them, appreciating my car and my truck and how well they perform, the scenery of Northern California, the weather whatever it may be. I find myself giving thanks and finding so many things to be in appreciation of. 


All Of This With A Smile. I'm In Heaven Right Here. 

Spread Some Joy Today--by smiling at everyone you see today. What a perfect way to share your true wealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment