Monday, January 1, 2018

Daily Inspiration 1-1-18

"The privilege of a lifetime 
is being who you are." 

-- Joseph Campbell 



[Classic post from 9-26-16]

If you were to bother to look up quotes about purpose, and specifically, life purpose, they would be as clear as mud. It's been said by many that our only purpose on this earth, in this life--our single goal is to figure out why we're here. Michael Hyatt said, "Your life matters. You are here for a reason. Your job is to determine why." Right. Like that's easy or something.

Then, the wise and prolific, Ralph Waldo Emerson, said, "The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well." Hmmm. The purpose of life is not to be happy. . . so I guess we should cross happiness off our goal list, and adopt duty instead. Not for me, thanks.

In attempting to clear the muddy water, I'm clear that this quote from Robert Bryne isn't much of a filter: "The purpose of life is a life of purpose." Well, there ya go! The purpose of purpose is purpose!

I love it when famous people say, "everyone has a divine purpose on this earth, and your only job is to figure out what that is and then go do it." Well, say, don't you say! Our only job. Hmmm. I guess that I haven't been doing my job through all these years. And, how would I know my divine purpose when it was shown to me? And, why the heck wasn't that made more clear at the beginning. I could have just followed the bread crumbs! I woulda had a map. The journey would have been clear. I woulda made all the right choices. I woulda lived a life worth living, a life of purpose, even divine purpose because it was given me at the beginning.

Dribble. It reminds me of the Mission Impossible TV show. Good morning, Mr. Minion. Your purpose, should you decide to accept it, is to find your one purpose. . . LOL. Like rad, man! Bitchin' I'm digging it. Far out! Well, don't say, you say.

Some are so confused by all this that they may wander their entire lives trying to find that needle-in-a-haystack purpose that was meant only for them, perhaps disappointed at every little turn. Our only purpose is to figure out our purpose. . . . I'm not one of the lucky ones! I'm a failure. I can't figure it out. My life is wasted and meaningless. . .

So, I'll help here. There is no purpose that is not known by you. If you're here and you're currently alive and breathing, your purpose is already fulfilled. Cross that one off your list. You're done. You're worthy. You're loved. You're valued. You're appreciated. You are enough. 

Let me add a few things that I have learned. They may or may not benefit you. You are you. I am me. Yet, we are all at the same time, part of the One, part of All.

I love Ralph Waldo Emerson, but I have to disagree with him. My purpose is to be happy, and happiness is not something I need to find. It is always there whenever I choose to allow myself to feel it. I always choose. Next, choosing love instead of fear has always worked best for me. Fear is always near, but as Jim Carrey so wisely said, "fear is going to be a player in your life, but you get to decide how much." I choose very little. Love feels way better. Way better.

I also love how Joseph Campbell said that to "follow your bliss," is as good as it gets in purpose. Indeed. Bliss is love. Love is bliss.

So, truly, it really is about me feeling good. It's not about sacrificially serving others, although to do so can be love, as in the life of Mother Teresa, who didn't sacrifice, because she gave out of her joy. She followed her good feelings--her bliss. As I choose to pay attention to how thoughts and things feel to me, and as I choose to focus on the ones that feel good, I am being more the real me that I sometimes have chosen to hide behind the fear. The more often I "let the armor go," as Jim Carrey wisely said, the more free I become to enjoy my life journey.

I like how Wayne Dyer said that, "to feel good is to feel God." 


Your Purpose Is Assured. You're Here. You're Alive! The Rest Is Just Smoke And Mirrors. 

Spread Some Joy Today--by letting the armor go and letting your life force shine through your form.

No comments:

Post a Comment