Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Daily Inspiration 10-10-17

"There is an ongoing battle 
between conscience and self-interest 
in which, at some point, 
we have to take sides."

-- Robert Brault




[Classic post from 3-27-12]

I worked for others for just over 40 years, and for myself for about 9 or so. Most recently I've worked for myself for the last 4+ years [now 10 years]. There is one thing about working for myself that stands out more than anything else and that is the ability to make choices in policy and make decisions on the spur of the moment and to do what I think in my heart is the right thing. What's even so much better than this is having real partners who think the same thing.

I worked in the car business for over 25 years and it is notorious for self-interest. Even as much control as I could get as a manager wasn't enough. I remember having to make choices that I had a very hard time with and all of them were focused on saving money. The really funny thing is that in almost every case, it ended up costing them much more money to get it finally resolved. Their fear of loss and instinct for protecting themselves ended up being the thing that cost the most in the end.

And now, I get to choose and the buck stops here with us. We get to choose to do what we think is right even if it costs us money. In fact, the money is almost insignificant in the mix. Going with our heart of hearts is the best instinct every single time. As I look back on some of those choices, I see how clearly this was the best choice.

Here's a quote from one of the world leaders in customer service and retention, Nordstrom's: "Rule #1 - Use your good judgment in all situations. There will be no additional rules. - Nordstrom's Employee Handbook."


Make Your Best Choices Regardless Of What Others Think: Go With Your Heart.

Spread Some Joy Today--You can sit right at your desk and in a moment go into joy. Just think of something funny! Maybe something like the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles. Oh, that's just a guy thing though. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment