Friday, August 22, 2014

Daily Inspiration 8-22-14

"The greatest weakness 
of most humans 
is their hesitancy 
to tell others 
how much they love them 
while they're still alive." 

 -- O. A. Battista 


Some years ago, I did a consulting work for three years with a company and the main manager I dealt with regularly could not tell his father that he loved him. I was amazed. His father was the head of the business and there every day, but whether at work or at home for family meals, he just couldn't bring himself to say those three words directly to his father. He told me that he loved him, but could not tell his father.

This reminds me of someone who has little or no patience. I learned early on that patience doesn't come, but requires regular practice. The same is true with love and especially expressing that love vocally. Yet what a difference it makes in people's lives when you tell them.

I used to keep that idea about saying I love you to myself as well, and then many years ago, I began purposefully practicing it. First I would focus on feeling it, then I would find a way to practice it by saying it. Sometimes it might be in writing, other times vocally. Sometimes on the phone, other times in person.

I love my clients and so I would tell many of them how I felt. It was fun. It seemed a bit awkward at first, but the more I did it, the more joy I received from doing it. Some of my clients are nose-to-the-grindstone types and saying I love you to them was even more fun. They didn't know what to say or do. At first many of them said nothing, sort of like they didn't hear me, but later, they let go of that big old rope and relaxed in the joy of that feeling themselves.


What A Wonderful, Delightful Gift That Costs Almost Nothing (Maybe Just A Dinky Bit Of Effort), Yet Is So Valuable. 

Spread Some Joy Today--by saying 'I love you!' And, by the way, I love you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment