Thursday, January 23, 2014

Daily Inspiration 1-23-14

"Complacency accepts what's 
 not working as a fact of life. 
Contentment accepts what is 
working as your natural condition." 

 -- Alan Cohen 


Alan has a great way to compare and explain complacency and the alternative of contentment. I had never thought about it quite like this, but I just love how he states that "complacency accepts what's not working as a fact of life." I had always thought about complacency as not giving a damn, giving up on it, resigning the effort and so on, but acceptance was not a word I would have thought of. Yet, this is a perfect way to see what complacency is and how insidious it can be.

At the same time, I love how he reflects on "contentment accepts what IS working as your natural condition." I've always thought of contentment as in being with peace, accepting what is as being good, even considering I might have thought otherwise in a different time and space. Yet, accepting what is working is a wonderful way to see contentment, and to accept it as a natural condition of my life is peace in and of itself.

Maybe this quote just caught me on a strange day, or maybe you may have had similar thoughts to mine and now are changed as I am.


There Are So Many Ways To Say A Thing, And Sometimes It Jumps Out And Sometimes I'm Asleep. 

Spread Some Joy Today--by seeking things to appreciate all around you. There are so many--too many to number.

No comments:

Post a Comment