Monday, May 16, 2016

Daily Inspiration 5-16-16

"Who is the happiest of men? 
He who values the merits of others, 
and in their pleasure takes joy, 
even as though 'twere his own." 

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe 



The more I know, the more amazed I am at what I do not know. The more I learn, the more I see there is to learn. With access to such a volume of knowledge growing exponentially every day, it seems impossible to keep up, even in one small category. It is also true--or at least it has been in my life before now--that it was easy to be upset by what others know in my own field that I don't, and of course, this is all ego-based thinking. Now, I celebrate what others know. I am completely (nearly completely) open to learning from those who do know to enhance my own position. In other words, I like to think of myself as teachable.

Take a subject like the Internet. I own a business that deals with aspects of the Internet, including building websites, blogs, working with social media, video and YouTube, and much more. Since I began this enterprise in January 2008, I've learned so much about the playground I'm playing in. And yet, what I know relative to what there is to know would probably fit on the top of a common pin.

We've run into some knowledgeable people in this field that act like we're idiots and that they are so superior. There's that ego again, and of course, it would be so easy for our egos to react accordingly. Now I celebrate their smarts. I celebrate their knowledge. I celebrate their expertise. I celebrate their prowess. I find appreciation in what they do, what they know that we don't, and so much more.

I love smart people. I love people smarter than me too. It is so refreshing to find someone who knows, understands the big and the small picture, and is willing to be of assistance in sharing just a bit of that knowledge.

Here's one of the most profound things I've ever learned: I don't have to know it. In fact, I've learned that I don't even have to know it to do it. Since I am totally (almost totally) open to learning and being teachable, I can afford the pleasure of doing while I learn what I'm doing.

I can afford the pleasure of doing while I learn what I'm doing. How exciting is that? If I had to wait until I knew, I might not have any time left to do. In fact, often it is in the doing that knowledge comes. You meet an obstacle, and that will require some learning to overcome, go around, or go through.

I highly recommend the idea that getting started is the best thing that can be done in the process of doing--and being open to learning as you go.


Celebrate All Those Who Know Something And Do Something. We Are All In That Category Together. 

Spread Some Joy Today--by allowing yourself the opportunity to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment