Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Daily Inspiration 5-28-14

"Busy is a drug 
that a lot of people 
are addicted to." 

-- Rob Bell 


I am periodically reminded about just how busy people are, or seem to be. So busy in fact, that there is no time to talk, regardless of how important it might be, nor is there any remaining capacity for making decisions because being busy is in and of itself a focal point. I'm surprised that people even bother to answer the phone in this condition.

I'm not honing in on anyone in particular because my business partner and I both see this so much that, though it shouldn't by now, it does seem to continually amaze us. Some are so busy they cannot answer the phone at any time of the day, yet they seem to be on the phone all day long. Many are so busy doing their work that they have no time or energy to do it well. Some are just downright rude, and also arrogant as if they were the only busy people doing such important things and they are the only ones who can do it.

Well, that's sort of where it comes into play, isn't it? I'm so busy because I'm the only one who can deal with this and I am in a position of authority and so I am required to deal with this and so on and on.

Of course, the truth is something else. It may actually be they are addicted to busyness. I think I know some like that. Then, many are managers and yet they aren't really managers so much because good managers know how to delegate. Managing is getting work done through and with others, not by ourselves.

Most of it is really ego I think. We like being busy. It makes us feel needed, important, in charge, it creates some juice and it feels good even if it feels stressful at the same time. There is a definite reward in it.

Yet, we need to respect each other and each other's time. I do this because I understand busy people pretty much. I like to make appointments so that we can discuss something worthy of attention and try to make decisions, movement, get answers, create synergy and more. Appointments are a form of respect as long as we are not wasting their time on things not important to them.

So, it comes down to this. To you busy people--I appreciate how busy can take so much attention. If I'm a vendor or partner or valued party, then give me an appointment when you have time and I will do the same. At this time, let us give each other our attention with none or minimal interruption. Let's keep it no longer than it need be because we know that more busyness awaits. Thank you for your time, and more than this, for your attention.


Quality Attention Is So Valuable, And Often Very Rare. Let Us Create More Space For It In Our Busy Lives. 

Spread Some Joy Today--Stick a little stone in your pocket and every time you touch it, find something to be thankful for. It is a gratitude rock. Heck, put one in each pocket, or carry it around in your hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment