Sunday, June 18, 2017

Daily Inspiration 6-18-17

"It is not the answer that enlightens
but the question."

-- Eugene Ionesco



It's interesting where my mind has taken me this morning. I made a few rare comments on Facebook and that caused more thoughts to cruise through my mind. Memories were exposed and not all were pleasant.

As I was floating through some childhood memories, I remembered a popular phrase, 'spare the rod, spoil the child.' What a bunch of crap that is! I remembered being whipped with a belt and hit with a 3/4" hardwood paddle, that later had holes drilled out so it would leave round marks. I received several doses of each for just being a kid. The rod wasn't spared, but in my humble opinion, that had nothing to do with me being spoiled for the future. Respect for authority may have been an objective, but fear of authority was the end result.

It's not the answer that enlightens, it's the question. Some good questions in those instances might have been, what is my objective in doing this? Am I wanting to show love or fear? Will this achieve my objective? How would I feel, respond, react, learn from this if it were me being punished? Will any good come from this? And, of course, the edict that sparing the rod spoils the child can justify this action as I allow my belief in such logic to prevail.

Those memories caused me to see that I now have developed compassion for all that went on then. They were doing what they knew to do and I knew nothing better than to accept that. Then, I remembered all that I have learned since then and how I no longer give permission to others to cause me to believe anything. I have learned to ask questions, to challenge beliefs, including, and especially my own from wherever they became attached to my thinking.

This brought me back to center like a quick little journey around the block, reminding me that I get to ask the questions. I am in charge of all in my mind. I am reminded of some great questions: What would I rather be thinking right now? What will I choose now? How do I want to feel now? How do I see my life now? Where do I see my life taking me now?

Since now is all there really is that I have control over, all my choices are now. I can respond in so many ways to these questions. And, there is one that stands out above all the rest. It is this:


I Choose Love. 

Spread Some Joy Today--by choosing as you wish, and by asking yourself some great questions that bring you back to the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment