Friday, December 7, 2018

Daily Inspiration 12-7-18

"Live as long as you may, 
the first twenty years are 
the longest half of your life." 

-- Robert Southey 




[Classic post from 11-9-14]

Milestones are an interesting thing. One I recall very well was turning 18. When I was 18, I felt like I was almost 'there,' and my obsession other than the opposite sex was turning 21. But, what I remember most about 18 was that I tried as earnestly as I could to imagine being 30 years old and could not imagine it. It seemed like light years away from where I was.

Then it came. I turned 30 and then 35 and then 40 and so on. Yet, as Satchel Paige said so well, "how old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?" I'd be 35.

But then there was this other milestone that I could not image reaching, and today I have attained it. I am 65 today. Who knew? I surely didn't think it was even possible. I thought maybe I may not live that long, but here it is in real life.

Yet, I still feel 35 in my head. I realize my body is somewhat different. I know that because I have a number of photos during that period. There is a distinct difference I detect from the mirror.

Satchel Paige said something else that hits home: "Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Now that I'm here, I don't mind, so it doesn't matter much. I don't care about birthdays and haven't for a lot of years now. It is what it is, but I am only as old as I feel. My favorite quote about age is by Chili Davis: "Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional." I prefer to never grow up.

What is most interesting on this day is that I have no regrets and nothing but fond memories of the trail I've been wandering and the horizon is brighter than it has ever been.


Another Happy Day On The Trail. . . 

Spread Some Joy Today--because it feels so much better than sharing the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment