Friday, December 25, 2015

Daily Inspiration 12-25-15

"But what about you?" He asked. 
"Who do you say I am?" 
Simon Peter answered, 
"You are the Christ, 
the Son of the living God." 

-- Matthew 16:15,16, 
The Bible 



Considering it is Christmas Day, it seemed so appropriate to honor the Christ of whom the day is supposed to represent--that of Jesus of Nazareth.

During the height of my 9-year experience at leading and being on the worship team at our church, I wrote a large number of songs that were simple and straightforward and expressed where my head and heart was during that time. I would often put a Bible quote at the top of the written song that stood as very appropriate for the song content. The quote above was used on a song from 2002 titled, I Know That You Are God. The two verses of the very simple lyrics went like this:

I want to know you more, but all I need, I have, in that I know that you are God. I want to see your face, but all I need I have, in that I know that you are God, I know that you are God.

Some people think that God began and stopped inspiring writing at the Bible. How sad that thought is. That would indicate that God no longer exists, and only wanted to talk to selected people. How sad that is too. I cannot possibly believe such a thing because I know that God IS life, is living, is constantly inspiring, and speaking in hundreds of tongues throughout the world.

From 25 centuries ago, by special request, Lao-tzu recorded the Tao Te Ching. It is a book of 81 verses that are so short, simple, and full of love and wisdom. Beginning at Verse 1: "I choose to enjoy living the great mystery. The Tao that can be named is not the Tao." And, so it is today. The God that can be named is not God. As it is, we have given hundreds of names to this that cannot be named.

I know that a writing is inspired because it resonates with me. And, at the same time, I know that all writing is inspired because it will resonate with someone somewhere. Kevin Hall's delightful book titled, Aspire, is one such book to me. It is the kind of book that I savor like a taste on my tongue that I want to play with and sense with unbridled joy, so I go slow and easy and relish each little bite. 

Here is where I learned what the word, Namaste (nah-mah-STAY) means. I've heard that word a lot, especially in New Age circles, but I never bothered to check into it. Kevin brought me the definition, or rather definitions, along with a whole chapter of how and why it is an important word. The image above shows the reverential way of expressing the word, typically with the head bowed, and the hands together touching the heart.

In the book, Kevin refers to a time when Albert Einstein learned of the word by watching Mahatma Gandhi greeting people in the streets of India. He said that Einstein wrote to Gandhi and asked what he was saying. Gandhi replied: "Namaste. It means I honor the place in you where the entire universe resides. I honor the place in you of light, love, truth, peace, and wisdom." 

Kevin goes on to say: "Imagine what impact this single word could have on the world if every day you looked each person that you passed in the eye and said, in effect: I salute the Divine within you. I salute what you do best. I salute your natural gifts. I honor your uniqueness and your specialness." 

So, to wrap this up (pun intended) as a Christmas gift to all who may like to receive it, consider greeting all you see today, tomorrow and beyond with the blessing and statement of Namaste: I see in you, God. I see in you, The Christ. I see in you Divine. I see in you Love. I see in you that uniqueness that is you alone. I see in you infinite possibilities. I see in you joy. I see in you, myself, for I cannot acknowledge you and not acknowledge myself. I join with you in choosing to enjoy living the great mystery. I choose to love you, because I too, am love.


Merry Christmas To All. 

Spread Some Joy Today--by letting go of that rope and relaxing in the mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment